WE ARE 1.2 MILLION NEIGHBORS, FRIENDS, AND COMMUNITY LEADERS WHO COME TOGETHER TO CREATE POSITIVE, LASTING CHANGE IN OUR COMMUNITIES AND AROUND THE WORLD.
Our differing occupations, cultures, and countries give us a unique perspective. Our shared passion for service helps us accomplish the remarkable.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT?
Our distinct point of view and approach gives us unique advantages:
- We see differently: Our multidisciplinary perspective helps us see challenges in unique ways.
- We think differently: We apply leadership and expertise to social issues—and find unique solutions.
- We act responsibly: Our passion and perseverance create lasting change
- We make a difference at home and around the world:Our members can be found in your community and across the globe.
HOW DID WE GET HERE?
We’ve been making history and bringing our world closer together for over 100 years. Since forming in 1905, we’ve taken on some of the world’s toughest challenges and helped a wide range of international and service organizations—from the UN to Easter Seals—get started.
Learn about Rotary’s history…
OBJECT OF ROTARY
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- First: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- Second: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- Third: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
- Fourth: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
THE FOUR-WAY TEST
The Four-Way Test is a nonpartisan and nonsectarian ethical guide for Rotarians to use for their personal and professional relationships. The test has been translated into more than 100 languages, and Rotarians recite it at club meetings: Of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
HOW DO WE WORK?
Our impact starts with our members—people who work tirelessly with their clubs to solve some of our communities’ toughest challenges. Their efforts are supported by Rotary International, our member association, and The Rotary Foundation, which turns generous donations into grants that fund the work of our members and partners around the world. Rotary is led by our members—responsible leaders who help to carry forward our organization’s mission and values in their elected roles.
Explore our structure…
HOW DO WE USE OUR FUNDS?
Responsible leadership means more than just doing good work—it means making the most out of every donation we receive.
See how we maximize our impact…
AVENUES OF SERVICE
We channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through five Avenues of Service, which are the foundation of club activity.
- Club Service focuses on making clubs strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active membership development plan.
- Vocational Service calls on every Rotarian to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society. Learn more in An Introduction to Vocational Service and the Code of Conduct.
- Community Service encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest. Learn more in Communities in Action: A Guide to Effective Projects and this Community Service presentation (PPT).
- International Service exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We support this service avenue by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects, seeking partners abroad, and more.
- Youth Service recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange.
Read more: Why Rotary?